Allow 6 to 8 weeks production time. Free To-Your-Door Shipping included. To request free leather samples, email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Designed & engineered according to exact historic specifications of JFK's chair
- Each executive chair built-to-order, one at a time, by American hands
- Admired for exceptional comfort and support; adjustable height; tilt resistance
- Exterior frame crafted in precious cherrywood; interior frame in hard maple
- Upholstered in top-grain leather from European cowhides, choice of 34 colors
- Measures: 28”w x 35”d x 45” to 47½”h; Seat Height: 19½” to 22”; Weight: 93 lbs
- Proudly Made-in-America by the venerable Gunlocke Company of Wayland, NY
Executive Privilege, Circa 1960.
The style of Presidents' chairs evolved over 50 years, and culminated with the executive chair specifically designed for President John F. Kennedy. As the President-elect planned to move into the White House in 1961, Gunlocke engineers worked with his personal physician, Dr. Janet Travell. She had treated Kennedy for chronic back pain, and insisted that his working chair have the maximum in comfort and support. This model was the result.
Its sinuous spring suspension (11-gauge steel springs that run across the seat of the chair) along with a fill of foam provides supportive, no-sag seating. The chair's firm back is also foam-filled over a spring foundation. This very same chair is still produced one at a time at the original Gunlocke workshop, according to the exact historic specifications of JFK's chair: the interior frame of solid maple is double-doweled, corner-blocked, glued and screwed for extra strength. All frame components are made of high-density maple which strongly grips upholster tacks, preventing them from loosening.
You are invited to acquire, not only a piece of history, not only the finest example of American craftsmanship, but the most comfortable chair of its kind in the world.